The Daily Hart is a self-imposed challenge to enjoy a piece of art every day for a year. In other words, it’s a daily helping of art.
Every day, I will watch/read/view/explore a new piece of art, and then I will write about that experience here. This not a review site, as I’m not interested in adding anymore negativity into the world. Instead, I want to focus on the joy of experiencing art, especially the discovery of new artists and voices. That being said, I do tend to shout about the things I love, so I expect there will likely be a fair amount of that as the year goes on.
The rules are simple(ish):
- One piece of art per day. No stocking up by viewing a week’s worth in one day. If I happen to experience multiple artworks in a day, I’ll write about my favourite.
- All artists must be new to me. It’s okay if I’ve already heard of them, but to qualify for the challenge, it must be my first time experiencing their art. I want to use the Daily Hart as an opportunity to discover new voices and talents.
- No repetitions. Once I’ve written about an artist, I can’t experience one of their other works for this challenge. The goal is to experience 365 new voices.
- Repetitions are allowed within a production company/distributor, so long as the artists/creators are new to me. For example, I’m allowed to listen to multiple musicians from the same record label.
- Every day, I must consume a complete work of art. This means I can’t just read a book for five minutes and call it a day. For it to count, I have to finish the work of art. I have to read the whole book, watch the whole movie, and listen to the whole song. For serialized artworks, such as television shows and podcasts, I have to complete one full episode.
- No artwork by straight, white, men. No disrespect to all of the brilliant, straight, white, male creators out there, but I’ve been consuming your stories my whole life. I want to experience something new.
Thank you for joining me on this journey! I hope this inspires you to seek out more art in your life, and to support all of the incredible artists and creators in this world.